Sunday, September 21, 2008

Who baked what with the what now?

I never would have believed it had I not tried it with my very own little hands. It was two weeks ago now, but certainly worth a repeat (especially since my courgette plant keeps turning them out like nobody's business!

Chocolate Courgette Cake:

Batter:

1/2 cup margarine (i used butter - go hard or go home, eh?)
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk (interestingly, I didn't bother with the milk + vinegar trick - I just used milk that was slightly off, and it was fine!)
1 tsp vanilla
2.5 cups unsifted flour (does anyone still sift flour these days?)
4 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp baking power
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups finely diced courgette (I grated mine, and it was fine!)

Topping:

3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup crushed walnuts

Method:

1. Cream margarine, oil and sugar
2. Add eggs, vanilla and sour milk
3. Mix all dry ingredients together and add to the creamed mixture
4. Beat well
5. Stir in diced courgette
6. Spoon into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan
7. Sprinkle topping on batter in pan
8. Bake at 350F (that's gas mark 4, for my British readers) for 40-45 mins or until a toothpick, when inserted into the middle, comes out clean.

It is just heavenly!






3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Marisa has been food blogging a lot lately -- can I add this to her site (with her permission)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very good. I'm not convinced that the Department of Health will endorse it as part of the "5 a day" campaign though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was excellent. Thanks for sharing it, Joanna.

    ReplyDelete